Semi-random ramblings from the ethereal edge of...ahh forget it.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Go with the 3-wood, save the world

In a recent study, scientists plumbed the depths of Loch Ness to uncover a near universal truth, unknown to many weekend warriors:

Go with the 3-wood, save the world.

From CNN:

Research teams at the Danish Golf Union have discovered it takes between 100 to 1,000 years for a golf ball to decompose naturally. A startling fact when it is also estimated 300 million balls are lost or discarded in the United States alone, every year. It seems the simple plastic golf ball is increasingly becoming a major litter problem.


This, of course, isn't an attack on my eco-conscience since I, unlike so many, hit the ball straight as an arrow (laugh).

It's no wonder that the degradation of golf balls is having a noxious affect on the environment; I mean, have you seen what they're making golf balls out of these days?

When I was a kid, I can still remember cutting into a golf ball and finding tightly wound rubber bands. I called them Balatas, because that's what Titleist decided to call theirs (though Titleist balls were too expensive for me). I didn't much care for them because they didn't travel very far. The new balls, the ones that got me the distance, were made of all sorts of stuff that I'd only heard about in science class -- stuff like this: surlyn, urethane, titanium and zinc.

And what about that number? 300,0000,000 golf balls are lost in the United States every year. Seriously, since most golfers are not very good (myself included), let's just be good citizens of the world and put away the driver.

Most people that I know can't hit the driver straight for love or money. Do the right thing, folks.

No comments: