Semi-random ramblings from the ethereal edge of...ahh forget it.

Monday, June 25, 2007

Welcome to Americus


So, what exactly are those? Cheesy grits and collard greens you say? Forget it.

My broiled chicken and dinner roll should suffice.


I spent this past weekend down in Georgia where I had the opportunity to interview for a media position with Habitat for Humanity International, one of the world's most respected NGOs.

I flew to Atlanta Friday afternoon, picked up my Nissan Stanza from Enterprise and descended south down US-19 for a little less than two hours before arriving in a quaint little town on the edge of the south Georgia highlands--Americus.

I already knew quite a bit about Americus before I got there. I knew about its historical significance to the American civil rights movement; I knew about King Cotton and the Windsor Hotel; I knew about the recent tornadoes and, of course, the bats.

What I didn't know, however, was the most important thing: Could I live in small town America? Could I live in a hotbox? Could I give up all the conveniences of living in a city?

The answer, it seems, is a resounding maybe.

The people in Americus are wonderful. It put me in mind of something my good friend Mike always tells me about southern charm: "They're just better people."

Habitat for Humanity International is a great, not just good, organization and I would be lucky to be a part of it. And, downtown Americus is beautiful to boot!

Sonic is still overrated, but there's something to be said about being able to eat in a historic hotel that has been certified as haunted.

I drove around Americus--it didn't take long-- Thursday night. It was my way of feeling the place out. I visited a few of the HHI work sites and popped in at Southwestern Georgia State University. I finished the night off with dinner at Sonic (overrated).

Habitat had arranged for me to stay across the street from the Rylander Building, their international headquarters, at a restored country-style white house. I loved the place. It had a big front porch that was outfitted with a swing and a rocking chair. Before hitting the sack, I read a couple chapters of "Middlesex" on the porch.

I was in heaven.

The next morning, I woke up at 7:00 to get ready for my interviews. I had the normal butterflys, but it wasn't long before I felt as cool as a cucumber.

Everyone I interviewed with, and there were a lot of folks in six hours, was absolutely great. No one tried to paint me into a corner; no one tried to pick me apart. It was clear that they were more interested in me as a person--my character--more than anything else.

The best part of the experience for me on Friday was meeting Rosemary on the trip through HHI's Global Village. Rosemary was born in Zimbabwe to British parents and is an absolute joy.

After my trip through the Village, I went back to the old white house to gather my things before heading out to Atlanta for the baseball game between the Braves and Tigers.

I spent the night at the Midtown Baymont on Piedmont in Atlanta and left in the morning to fly out of Hartsfield. (Before I left for the airport, I drove north on Piedmont and found myself smack-dab in the middle of Atlanta's gay pride festival. I was disgusted by the protestors I saw on the streets castigating everyone participating in the festival. The signs read: "God Abhors You" and "God hates fags." They will be judged harshly for their hate.)

On the flight to Detroit, I was charged with the care of two brothers--C.J., 8, and Austin, 7. The two boys were flying by themselves to grandma's house in Michigan. In spite of the five separate trips to the bathroom during the 90-minute flight, it was a real treat.

The Pros and Cons of living in Americus

(Someone told me I should do this...)

Pros

Workplace: I would be a part of an organization committed to serving those in need. I wouldn't have to feel guilty around the Marxists anymore.

Weather: While it is hotter than the sixth ring of hell in the summer, I could golf year-round in South Georgia.

Southern charm: It's just a different way of living and I like it.

College: Americus, like Flint, is a college town. There's nothing wrong with that.

Sports: I would be close enough to Tallahassee, Florida, to see the Seminoles and Auburn to see the Tigers.

Time: At least in the interim, I would have a lot of downtime to start writing that book I've been putting off.

Roads: Without the freeze/thaw cycle of the north, roads in the south are second to none.

COL: The cost of living in Americus is very low.

Proximity: I will be half-again closer to Charlotte, where my baby niece lives.

Cons

Friends: Making new friends is great, but my friends are a big part of my life.

Job: I kind of like being a sports writer...sometimes.

Family: My whole family lives in Michigan.

My team: I will have to entrust the basketball club I started to someone else.

My site: I will have to entrust the basketball publication I started to someone else.

My church: Ok, so I was thinking about leaving my church anyways...I would miss that youth group, though.

Basketball: Basketball is king in Michigan. Georgia is all about football--but that's not all bad.

No comments: