Semi-random ramblings from the ethereal edge of...ahh forget it.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

I am not done with you, Benedict.


I've heard all the apologists and I'm frankly tired of it. This is the spur in my side right now:

Complete idiot on the radio: "What would you do? Would you stay at your job if someone else offered you 20 per cent more?"

Complete idiot on the television: "Can you blame the guy? What would you do if you could ensure that your kids would be set for life?"

Let me clue you guys in. YES. I would absolutely stay at my job if someone else offered me 20 per cent more. That is, if I were making 12 million dollars per year!! And, if I were content in my situation. Of course I would stay.

If Benedict's own words are any indicator, he was happy in Detroit. But contentment and familial stability pale in comparision to a 20 per cent shortfall in income, or so it seems. Apparently the costs of uprooting your family and making yourself look like an all-too average greedy ballpaper do not outweight the benefits of an extra 2.5 million per year--again, Detroit did offer 12.5 million per year.

But, doesn't this contract ensure that his kids will be set for life!? Of course it does! But you know what else would, Benedict? 12.5 million dollars per year. Although, maybe you aren't any different than the New York Knicks' former star center, Patrick Ewing, who offered up this glittering jewel: (in defense of the players' union during the last NBA lockout) "Yeah, we players make a lot of money, but we spend a lot of money, too."

You now have a little more money to spend, Benedict. Maybe now your kids won't have to fill out a FAFSA when they graduate high school.

I know, I know, I am out of line here. It's all about the kids. The kids, the kids, the kids...

You know what would be good for the kids, Benedict? And not just your kids, Benedict. Setting an example is good for kids. Enforcing an idea in the minds of the young people who practically worship you that money IS NOT EVERYTHING IN LIFE is good for kids.

See you in November.

No comments: